Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pan Fried Sea Scallops and Roasted Potatoes


From Lila:
“So it’s 8:30 in the morning and I’m unfortunately sitting here writing my blog post that I should’ve done last night but instead was watching Legally Blonde. Yesterday I made lemony scallop stir-fry at least that’s what I think it was called anyway, it sucked. I highly doubt that it was a good Introduction to scallops because they were chewy, tough, and slimy [uggh!]   So besides the scallops that sucked, I made the best roasted potatoes they are so addictive once you eat one you want to eat the whole plate or bowl. As you can already see I didn’t get my mandatory relaxing hours in. So bye my mom is going to post the link to the herb roasted potatoes. P. S.  I didn’t actually use the herbs. I think it makes the potatoes better.”



From Ambika:
I just want to say how proud I am of Lila for choosing and making this dish. She had no help or guidance from me since I have never made scallops before. She picked this recipe on her own. She wanted to make shrimp at first but since we are aware of the problem of overfishing on this planet we are now trying to only buy seafood according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch guide. Lila did all the shopping for this dish and went to both seafood stores in our neighborhood looking for shrimp that were sustainably caught, and as you can see from the menu she was unsuccessful in finding any. Scallops it seems are ok from most places and so easier to obtain. I actually like scallops although I didn’t like this recipe. Anyone out there with a favorite recipe/method for cooking scallops please let me know.



The potatoes were truly scrumptious and Lila found the recipe on the Food Network website from Tyler Florence.    

4 comments:

  1. Scallops are great if they are the big ones and you just brown them in oil once on each side in a hot frying pan, kind of like little baby steaks. This keeps them from getting tough. Then take them out of the pan and simply squeeze some lemon juice and add a little melted butter and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job with the dish. Even if its not your favorite, the accomplishment of shopping and preparing a full meal is awesome!

    I recommend watching the TV show 'Hook, Line, and Dinner' episode http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/hook-line-dinner/brooklyn/index.html

    Ben is from Brooklyn, and explores the local fishing scene.

    Scallops are my favorite shellfish by far, and a simple sear in a hot cast iron pan is best, followed by a squeeze of fresh lemon. I would love to try the local bay scallops, they look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment! We will check out that episode of "Hook, Line, and Dinner" for sure.
    How long do you cook the scallops on each side about?
    Ambika

    ReplyDelete